Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Rehashing Community

Again.

Early on in the Ellis, Oldridge, and Vasconcelos piece, they ask the question: can a virtual community be a real community? But I think that before that can be answered, we have to ask ourselves another, possibly more difficult question.

Just what is a real community? I think that the word community has become so shrouded in fable and illusion that most people are hard-pressed to say what it is - I know I am. So what is community? Or at least, what are some attributes that community should possess in order to be considered such.

1 comment:

umaysay said...

I think that community is an imagined boundary in which each person has identity, sense of beloning, emotional safety and mutual relationship based on trust. As I mentioned in posting, I think that trust is the most important element in building community. We might be relutant to push ourselves into having sense of community unless we have trust among the members.